A Coordinated Response to Coronavirus
The UN Secretary-General urged all countries to take comprehensive approach tailored to their circumstances.
*follow this section for updates and resources*
On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) characterized the coronavirus (COVID-19) viral disease as a pandemic, but it is a pandemic that can be controlled. Coronavirus (COVID-19) is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus.
Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who heads the UN agency, said, in his statement, “Let me be clear: describing this as a pandemic does not mean that countries should give up.”
The UN Secretary-General urged all countries to take a comprehensive approach tailored to their circumstances – with containment as the central pillar. COVID-19 is affecting thousands of people, impacting countries’ health systems and having widespread social and economic effects. The UN entities working on development, the United Nations Sustainable Development Group, are supporting countries in their preparedness and response plans.
WHO is working closely with global experts, governments and partners to track the spread and to provide guidance to countries and individuals on measures to protect health and prevent the spread of this outbreak.
A Partners Platform for international response to the Covid-19 outbreak has been set-up and can be accessed here: https://covid-19-response.org/
To stay up to date with the latest information, please visit:
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- Latest news on the United Nations’ response: https://news.un.org/en/events/un-news-coverage-coronavirus-outbreak
- WHO guidance for countries: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd
For specific guidelines and thematic statements, the list below is updated on a regular basis:
- WHO Interim Guidelines for Home Care of Covid-19 Patients (translated for BiH): https://bosniaherzegovina.un.org/en/38812-home-care-patients-covid-19-presenting-mild-symptoms-and-management-their-contacts
- WHO Introduction Course on Covid (tailored for health workers, open access to everyone and translated for BiH): https://openwho.org/courses/introduction-to-COVID-19-SR?fbclid=IwAR1YPRIFJUqm-cpDDTXx5CO1Oei5hpUEWpAmJUrG6XXgMVOXZ--oEBecegQ
- UNICEF, WHO and IFRC Guidance to Protect Children and Support Safe School Operations: https://bosniaherzegovina.un.org/en/37505-covid-19-unicef-who-and-ifrc-issue-guidance-protect-children-and-support-safe-school
- UNFPA Statement on COVID-19 with Regard to Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers: https://bosniaherzegovina.un.org/en/38142-statement-covid-19-regard-pregnant-women-and-lactating-mothers
- UNFPA Global Response Appeal for Safe Delivery During Covid-19 Outbreak: https://ba.unfpa.org/en/news/safe-delivery-even-now-unfpa-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-global-response-appeal
- UNFPA Guidance Note on Intensified Risks for Women and Girls During the Pandemic (translated for BiH): https://ba.unfpa.org/bs/publications/covid-19-kroz-prizmu-rodne-ravnopravnosti
- ILO Statement and Initial Assessment on Covid19 Impact to Jobs and Work: https://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/newsroom/news/WCMS_738742/lang--en/index.htm
- ILO Recommendations for Workers and Employers: https://www.ilo.org/global/topics/coronavirus/lang--en/index.htm
- ILO Blog-post "Precarious workers pushed to the edge by Covid-19": https://iloblog.org/2020/03/20/precarious-workers-pushed-to-the-edge-by-covid-19/
- IOM and UNHCR Statement on Temporary Suspension of Resettlement Travel for Refugees: https://www.iom.int/news/iom-unhcr-announce-temporary-suspension-resettlement-travel-refugees?fbclid=IwAR0i_FqsjWVQ5o5S1HxNDdpGiuv3J_AOrAHKrsZ6fKKGqIbBbgRJXTs8qQI
- UNAIDS: What People Living with HIV Need to Know on Covid19: https://www.unaids.org/en/20200317_covid19_hiv
- UNICEF Recommendations for Employers on Flexible Working Arrangements (translated for BiH): https://wcmsprod.unicef.org/bih/izvje%c5%a1taji/preporuke-za-poslodavce-o-fleksibilnim-radnim-uslovima
- UNICEF Key Messages and Actions for COVID-19- Prevention and Control in Schools (translated for BiH): https://www.unicef.org/bih/izvje%C5%A1taji/glavne-poruke-i-mjere-za-prevenciju-i-kontrolu-covid-19-u-%C5%A1kolama
In Bosnia and Herzegovina, please follow official information as published by:
- World Health Organization Country Office: https://twitter.com/WHO_BIH https://www.facebook.com/WHOBIH/
- United Nations Country Team: https://twitter.com/UN_BiH https://www.facebook.com/UnitedNationsBiH/
- Health Institutes Official Websites: (FBiH) https://www.zzjzfbih.ba/covid-19/ (RS) https://www.phi.rs.ba/index.php?view=kategorija&id=45